Pages

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Hour 10: What is One Place You Have Always Wanted to Visit

The Future. That is really the only place I have always wanted to visit.  When I was little I used to watch the Back to the Future trilogy and I was heart broken because I knew that time travel was not real. I think a lot about what I would say to me if the past me ever just showed up to hang out.  Like in the movie The Kid with Bruce Willis.  Jean Smart has this awesome line where she says that if the little kid version of herself ever showed up she would just say “Sweetheart, everything’s going to turn out just fine.” I don’t think I would say that. I might be a bit nicer to little kid Mike, but man, teenage Mike needs to shape up, and College Mike just needs a little direction.the_kid

I imagine a conversation with twelve year old Mike would go something like this:

10 Year Old Mike: Do we grow up to be a teacher or a baker?

Me: Not a baker. I’m working on the teacher one.

10 Year Old Mike: Do we become an actor: We are really bad at acting, but we work on it and get ok. You find something you’ll like better than acting.

10 Year Old Mike: We probably marry Amy Koester, huh?

Me: No, but she’s still a fantastic friend. Also she is a Librarian.

10 Year Old Mike: Beth?

Me: No, she’s dating some guy with long hair and a nice smile. She becomes a bird doctor.

10 Year Old Mike: Do we still hang out with Amy, Melanie, Beth, Sam, and Erica?

Me: Most of them. And start reading comic books. You’re about to miss out on some really great Spider-Man comics.

3 comments:

  1. Mike, you visit the future every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't you see the future in my eyes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That may have sounded like I meant a future for us in a romantic way. No, I meant it to mean that I am a futurist. Like Tony Stark.

    ReplyDelete