Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Spider-Man: Blue

Did you know I love love stories? I think they’re my favorite. It doesn’t matter if it’s romantic love, or love between friends, or the love of a family. I love love stories. My own love stories have turned out pretty great. Except for the romantic ones. Those have been a disasters.
One of my favorites is Spiderman: Blue by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale. It is the story of how Peter Parker fell in love with Gwen Stacy (or more importantly, as the story goes, how they almost didn’t fall in love). It’s narrated from Peter’s perspective years after Gwen dies at the hands of the Green Goblin. He’s sitting in his attic and telling the story into a tape recorder.  It’s beautiful. It’s heartbreaking.

I am having an incredibly difficult time writing about it because I am just tempted to tell you everything that happens word for word, so instead I’ll post an image of my favorite part.

foolish_thumb3

And it’s not a happy love story. Not exactly. The story opens and closes on this idea that “things have to get really, really bad before they can get good.” And at the end of the story the reader gets to see what the good was that came from the really, really bad.


spiderman_blue4_thumb4

  "Good follows bad. Kind of amazing."

spiderman_blue6_thumb2
spiderman_blue5_thumb1

No comments:

Post a Comment